– So here it is: My five reasons to write a blog. Why do it?
1. I don’t think I have ever written a diary. I have often kept small journals of quotations etc., and on my latest trip, I kept a travel diary. But an actual diary? Never. Therefore my blog might not look like an ordinary diary but more like a scrapbook.
For a long time, I had a secret affection towards the world of blogs, and did read a lot of them. On the other hand, I had decided not to make my own blog. Mostly because I live a boring life, had nothing to write about and didn’t know how to begin a blog. One day an old friend / work colleague, Anders, lured me into a blog-abuse by telling me about WordPress. I told him, I wasn’t interested – few minutes later, I tried to install the program anyway – and then I got hooked. The rest is history.
2. Being the boring person that I am, living the boring life that I do, it’s a challenge to maintain a blog. But in a way, that’s exactly why I do it: in some respect it forces me to stay focused on the world around me, almost like a photographer, to constantly seek out new tings to portray.
3. My native language is Danish. For most people Danish is something they eat – for me it’s the language I’ve been speaking all my life. Right from the start, I decided to write my blog in English. Both as a way to practice writing English, and in the frail hope that my words would get out to a broader audience. The downside of it is that I often write in short sentences about stuff I could say so much about. I can read and speak English, but it takes me a long time to write it. I do hope that you’re able to read it and understand what I try to say in spite of grammatical errs!
4. I sincerely want to contribute to the internet. I have got so many stories and so much knowledge from the net and I do hope that I – to some extent – can give a little back. That goes for both “ordinary” webpages (which I’ve mostly written in Danish) and this blog, where I spend most of my web-writing time these days.
5. I really like to be a part of the large blogging community! I love reading about other people’s lives, their hopes and dreams, their ideas. And I would love to know that other people read my blog and use whatever they can of it in their own life, or just read it as pure entertainment. And I love the comments from people finding things here worth commenting.
I thought it would be difficult to find five reasons for writing a blog – but it wasn’t. Just like it isn’t difficult to find subjects to write about in my blog. All though I’m not an interesting person with an interesting life, that hasn’t stopped me from keeping a blog.
Feel free to snatch the idea of giving five reasons why you keep a blog.
So, that’s why I blog. Why do you read?